The Business Career Transitioning Seminar teaches military leaders how to succeed in a corporate environment.
It is a career training course that is all about the world of contemporary business – an inside look at how it works, expectations of employers, biases, organization, culture, and your new career fit within it. It is taught by experienced business executives and panelists from across the country, several who were Marine and Navy Officers. It is offered free to all transitioning and retired career military Officers and senior enlisted personnel (E-6 & above), regardless of branch of service.
The business world is vastly different from the military environment, and those in it understand even less about what you do than you understand about what they do. Our Business Career Transitioning Seminar (previously titled Business 101) enables you to define, articulate, and sell your value proposition to potential employers. Developed for career senior leaders, this course will show you how to navigate contemporary business culture which values profit over people… a culture far different than the military.
We prepare you for success and show what to avoid. You will learn:
• How businesses function and how each department interrelates to your success
• How to demonstrate your value in a strange civilian business world where 97% don’t really know what you are about, except for the movies
• How to deal with the misperceptions of your valuable skills by people who think you are scary
• How to manage your career’s self-survival, as contrasted from the military’s focus on the mission and the team
• How to survive with job insecurity, with most jobs lasting less than three years
• How to adjust from being the person who gives the orders to the one taking them
• How to succeed in interviews and with supervisors who may be 15 years your junior
• How to turn your military behaviors, manners, habits, biases, discipline, and other attributes into success factors, lest they become your downfall
• How to avoid HR and the front door… but instead find the back door to the key person in a target company to get an interview
• How to investigate target companies when you don’t have any points of introduction
• How you can translate your military MOS and skills into the civilian business roles where you will best fit
• Learn important new business concepts of revenue generation, market niches, contribution margin, Lean, entrepreneurship, and intrapreneurship
• Learn how to use your fresh perspectives to your advantage in interviews and performance
• Listen to veterans that have made successful transitions into Corporate America
• Listen to employers on how to position yourself better to get the job
• Listen to military veteran business owners on they became successful entrepreneurs
Taught at the graduate-school level, even vets with MBAs will benefit. This free course is unique, with information that is not offered at TRS or any other transitioning seminar. This course has excellent feedback ratings.
Our 4-day course helps you understand how your unique military leadership skills translate into civilian business leadership roles. It demonstrates how businesses perceive your marketable skills. It is short on theory and long on practical business applications. This unique business course is NOT a job fair, a networking meeting, or about resume writing, interviewing or other skills to be learned in other programs, including TRS. This course is deliberately different and it is important.